Archaeologists working at Historic St. Mary’s City have uncovered the stone and brick foundation of the Calvert House. The structure was built soon after the settlement of Maryland as home for the founder and first Governor, Leonard Calvert.

This historic structure later served as an ordinary or inn, and a court house, before being purchased by the Province of Maryland in 1662 to serve as the first state house. Located in the center of Maryland’s first capital, the building was both the social and political capital for most of the 17th century.

Source & Full Story