21 April 2014
This Ancestry Book is available for every GeneaNet member and it can show up to 10 generations.
Every GeneaNet member can also export the Ancestry Book in PDF file format.
14 April 2014
There are 7 themes available and you can change the content: font, date format, on a single page/on multiple pages, etc.
Offer a beautiful ancestry chart to your family and friends!
7 April 2014
Select the 'Contacts > Sponsor a friend or family member' item in the drop down menu at the top right of the screen.
Enter the Geneanet username of the persons you want to sponsor (click here to search the username of a member by name).
When you have sent 5 invitations, you must wait for them to be accepted or to expire (45 days) to gain new sponsor rights.
Sponsored persons will be invited to try the Geneanet Club Privilege free for one month.
If they subscribe to the Club Privilege during the free trial, the remaining free weeks will be added to their 1-year or 2-year membership, and you will get an extra month free!
1 April 2014
You will be soon able to send your GEDCOM file by phone: just call our new service and say the content of the file.
Your file will be imported to your account so you can have a Geneanet family tree without having to perform computer tasks.
April Fool's Day
24 March 2014
1. Click the box of a person in your family tree,
2. Click "Add Family Picture" in the menu bar at the top of the screen,
3. Select the image file in your personal computer,
4. Click "Submit".
If you have pictures with multiple people, type in the name of all the persons and the picture will be automatically added to each of them.
17 March 2014
GEDCOM (an acronym standing for GEnealogical Data COMmunication) is a specification for exchanging genealogical data between different genealogy software. It was developed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
Most genealogy software supports importing from and/or exporting to GEDCOM format. Here are some screenshots to explain how to export a GEDCOM file from your genealogy software.
10 March 2014
13 years after its launch, the Club Privilege pricing is changing so Geneanet can pursue its mission of helping genealogists.
Since its founding, Geneanet offers a free service which allow genealogists to share their family tree. Information provided by the Geneanet members are free for everyone. This free-of-charge service has a cost for the Geneanet growing organization. Since 2001, this cost is almost entirely borne by the Club Privilege members.
6 March 2014
As part of its development process, Geneanet recruits a Data Manager in charge of the genealogical database.
The Data Manager will be responsible for updating the international Geneanet genealogical database provided by multiple sources: external websites, genealogy societies, partners. In more details:
- He/she will report directly to the Technical Manager
- He/she will improve our scripts and tools for exporting, transforming and importing data, and he will create new ones
- He/she will work closely with the technical team on the process specifications and on the frequency of updating data
- He/she will work closely with the CEO and the International Manager who are in charge of the data sourcing
- He/she will deal with the genealogy societies, the partners and the foreign correspondents
- He/she will ensure the setting up and the follow-up of the data sources
- He/she will provide ad-hoc reports and analysis
- He/she will be responsible for the quality of the new genealogical data
- You have a computing background (Baccalauréat + 2 years or more), and you are resourceful, autonomous and efficient in processing scripts.
- You have experience in web scraping, in processing CSV files, in regular expressions, and in one of the following programming languages: Sh, Perl and Python.
- You have genealogy skills, ability to work in a team environment, and you are fluent in French and English (additional fluency in Dutch or German is appreciated).
- You are organized and efficient.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Location: Paris, France.
3 March 2014
In the new Geneanet family tree software, the timeline is displayed whatever the number of facts is.
Geneanet now offers the opportunity to tell your family history in a new way!
In the non-graphic family tree pages, the timeline is displayed if there are facts in addition of the birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial.
24 February 2014
And you know what? It's free!
Add individuals, families and facts, upload family pictures and archival records. Geneanet offers a new family tree experience to help you build your family history.
Take some time to try it!
17 February 2014
They visited the very impressive Family History Library, they attended conferences, they have talked with other managers and leaders, and they discovered innovative products: storytelling, mobile genealogy, multimedia, social networking, etc.
A motivating and inspiring experience for Geneanet!
Here are some pictures about Geneanet at RootsTech 2014.
10 February 2014
Family trees are growing, more and more data and pictures are available, and sharing is getting easier. This is great for all genealogists and it's a real satisfaction for Geneanet to make it possible!
3 February 2014
You can print some very attractive family trees, and some ascending or descending charts lists and reports for free.
And you can do the same when browsing the family tree of any GeneaNet member!
27 January 2014
Tombstones of the Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial have been pictured by volunteer members and are now free to browse and search on GeneaNet!
Click here to access this new collection.
If you want to join the Collaborative Indexing Project, please click the 'Click here to add some Listed Persons' link below any picture of tombstone.
20 January 2014
No individual whose date of marriage is later than date of death? No woman whose date of death is before the date of birth of their child?
GeneaNet offers Club Privilege members to automatically and instantly check their family tree for errors.
And you may be surprised!
- Are You Related to Edgar Allan Poe? - Dorcas
- Are You Related to Warren G. Harding? - Dan Bishop
- Are You Related to Marilyn Monroe? - Karen Fritz Rowe
- Are You Related to Warren G. Harding? - Beth
- Are You Related to Cole Younger? - micky Overbaugh
- Southern Genealogy Yields Surprises - Rhana Hill
- Are You Related to Lizzie Borden? - Rebecca G
- Are You Related to Glenn Close? - Anne Kavanagh
- Are You Related to Jimi Hendrix? - Meg
- Are You Related to Hillary Rodham Clinton? - Kay Bowman